About the Mesonet
The Manitoba Mesonet is an effort to combine a variety of weather observation networks into one easily accessible place. The map contains data from Environment Canada, Manitoba Agriculture, Food, and Rural Initiatives (MAFRI), and National Weather Service weather stations. The map displays temperature, dewpoint, and wind observations for all locations.
Pressure readings are available Environment Canada & National Weather Service weather stations while daily rainfall totals are available only for MAFRI weather stations (daily rainfall totals are only displayed if the value is greater than zero). The mesonet map is updated each hour at 20 minutes past the hour. Observations that are not up-to-date (not from the present hour) are not plotted.
The time that the image is valid for can be seen in the lower-left corner. Please note the time is given in Universal Coordinated Time (subtract 5 hours for Central Time in spring/summer/fall or 6 hours in winter). The following table indicates the city or town that is represented by each station id and the organization responsible for each weather station.
|Oak Point Marine||WOJ||EC|
|Portage la Prairie||YPG||EC|
|Ste. Rose du Lac||STS||MAFRI|
|Thief River Falls||TVF||NWS|
December 3, 2016
Numerous stations added. Plot style updated for greater legibility. Slight style adjustments. Outdated observations are now hidden.
July 18, 2014
The mesonet image will now automatically refresh every 5 minutes. The functionality is disabled if you load the animation.
April 22, 2014
The mesonet has been upgraded to include a new basemap. Please note that animation controls are currently unavailable. Full functionality will return in the near future – stay tuned for updates!
- The Environment Canada observations have been restored to working condition on the mesonet. Unfortunately, the data feed to the MAFRI observations has been lost. Therefore, MAFRI observations will be unavailable until further notice.(Dec 9/13)
- The mesonet is currently experiencing an unknown error that is affecting both Environment Canada and MAFRI Observations. The problem is being worked on.(Dec 7/13)
- The three sites setup by the University of Manitoba earlier this summer (Winnipeg Beach, Fraserwood, and Glen Bay) have been taken down.(Sept 23/13)
- Three new sites have been added - Winnipeg Beach, Fraserwood, and Glen Bay. These sites have been setup by a University of Manitoba research team for a field project in July of 2013. It is expected that these sites will be taken down in August 2013.(June 5/13)
- The mesonet should now be back up and running following a complete shutdown. The new code has not been tested extensively yet, so if you notice any errors please report them to the above email address.(April 22/13)
- Please note that all Environment Canada sites will not work until further notice. EC recently updated their website which broke all the links that retrieved data from their weather stations.(April 16/13)
- The most important station has been added to the map - CPTG. Please note it is not reporting consistently at the present time, however it will always show up as if its data is current.(Feb 14/13)
- The American observations should now display properly. Observations from the previous hour (ex. 21:53) are valid through the following hour (ex. through 22:00). The number of observations have been scaled back due to data restraints. More observations will be added in the future. (Feb 9/13)
- The mesonet now has an animator to loop through the last 24 hours of images (Feb 4/13)
- Fixed some issues with the American stations. There were problems with the conversion from fahrenheit to celsius once the temperature dropped below zero degrees fahrenheit (Jan 23/13)
- Added a few more stations in Western North Dakota(Sept 4/12)
- Pressure readings have been added to Environment Canada stations.(Aug 22/12)
- Now capable of adding American observations. Minot and Thief River Falls added.(Aug 18/12)
- Map expanded to include bordering provinces/states. Kenora and Yorkton added.(Aug 14/12)
- Daily rainfall amounts are now added to MARFI and CWB observations if the daily rainfall total is greater than 0 (Aug 14/12)
- Observations now update automatically at 5, 15, 20, 30, and 45 minutes past the hour. Actual update times may vary slightly depending on when the server decides to execute the update script (Aug 12/12)
- Added a new feature to each observation...a star. If any observation has a star to the right of the temperature reading (and the observation is faded out) that means the observation is not from the current hour, in other words it is old (Aug 11/12)
- Gave the page a title, time stamp, and notes (Aug 11/12)
- Added rivers and riding mountain national park to the map (Aug 11/12)