Slight Chance of Thunderstorms Tonight, Then Cooler

So, once again, the possibility of severe thunderstorms exists through the RRV this afternoon and into the overnight period; but how likely are they?

The various models are hinting at it:

The Canadian GEM-REG Model Output

The US GFS Model Output

The US NAM Model Output

Both the GEM-REG and GFS are showing convection over the RRV tonight, however the NAM keeps the convection almost exclusively in the states.

For us, I would lean towards a few showers tonight with maybe a thunderstorm, however I won’t completely rule out the current forecast of showers & thunderstorms.  The models have traditionally pushed the 850mb jet too far N pretty much every day, so colour me suspicious of real convection moving into the RRV (remember Tuesday night?).

The most likely scenario will be convection developing near the triple point of the low & fronts in ND this afternoon, then moving NE and just clipping SE MB.  If, however, the warm front manages to push into extreme southern Manitoba, there could be a higher likelihood of thunderstorms tonight.  Some convection may initiate in or just to the west of Winnipeg by late afternoon due to daytime heating that could become severe, however that would most likely die off as the sun goes down.

All in all, for Winnipeg, I’d say there was a 60% chance of showers or thunderstorms early this evening, and a 40% chance of thunderstorms overnight.  Ultimately, we won’t know what it will look like until things start happening in 4 or 5 hours from now.

After today, a cold front sweeps through Southern Manitoba on Friday and will bring us into a cooler regime with dewpoints in the high single digits to low double digits, and daytime highs in the low twenties.  In my opinion, a refreshing change from the sticky conditions we’ve had the past few days.

Brad

Brad

Brad lives in Winnipeg with his wife and two children and is the founder of A Weather Moment. He has loved weather from a very young age and has followed that passion through his life so far. He received a B.Sc. in Earth Sciences with Specialization in Atmospheric Sciences and is currently employed in the field of meteorology. You can find the author as @WeatherInThePeg on Twitter.